The following are 13 reasons that I believe make Obama one of the worst Presidents in history. The reason he was so bad is that he promised hope and change and delivered the exact opposite, thereby paving the way for Donald Trump.
- He inherited military actions in 2 Muslim countries and extended US military campaigns to bombing 7 different Muslim countries — and then bragged about it;
- He promised to close Guantanamo and then didn’t — even though he could have at any time ;
- He promised to go after the crooks on Wall Street and then refused to prosecute them even though his DOJ had at least 11 criminal referrals from Congress to do so;
- He placed 30 Wall Street execs from Goldman Sachs, Citigroup and other banks on his cabinet — far more than Trump or any other recent President. His policies were designed to benefit Wall Street and the 1%.
- He cut Food Stamps by $9 billion;
- He took the disastrous Bush Tax Cuts which were due to expire and made them permanent;
- He actually pushed Republicans to cut Social Security;
- He suspended Habeas Corpus, allowing the US government to detain citizens at any time for as long as they want without having to charge them with a crime;
- He used the Espionage Act to jail journalists and whistleblowers — gifting Trump with a dangerous precedent to stifle free speech and the 1st Amendment;
- When gifted with a fillibuster-proof majority in Congress, he chose to deliver a Republican health care plan instead of the public option that he had campaigned on. Instead of pressuring conservative Democrats to agree, he actually campaigned against progressive Democrats who were fighting for the public option;
- Although he promised to “put on a pair of comfortable shoes” and march with unions on strike, he completely ignored the unions fighting for their lives in Wisconsin and Ohio;
- He is responsible for the greatest decline of an American political party in all of history — with Democrats losing 900 State legislative seats, 70% of State legislatures, 2/3 of all governorships.
13. He presided over a dramatic 30% drop in Democratic Party membership, bringing the number of Democrats to well below 30% of the overall electorate.
Obama worked to deliver for the 1%. The”recovery” under Obama was no recovery at all for working Americans.
Obama’s recovery all went to the shareholders, owners and managers.
EuroYankee is a dual citizen, US-EU. He travels around Europe, writing on politics, culture and such. He pays his US taxes so he gets to weigh in on what is happening in the States.