The following are 15 reasons that I believe make Obama one of the worst Presidents in history. The reason he was so bad is that he promised hope and change and delivered the exact opposite, thereby paving the way for Donald Trump.
- He inherited military actions in 2 Muslim countries and extended US military campaigns to bombing 7 different Muslim countries — and then bragged about it;
- He promised to close Guantanamo and then didn’t — even though he could have at any time ;
- He promised to go after the crooks on Wall Street and then refused to prosecute them even though his DOJ had at least 11 criminal referrals from Congress to do so;
- He placed 30 Wall Street execs from Goldman Sachs, Citigroup and other banks on his cabinet — far more than Trump or any other recent President. His policies were designed to benefit Wall Street and the 1%.
- He cut Food Stamps by $9 billion;
- He took the disastrous Bush Tax Cuts which were due to expire and made them permanent;
- He actually pushed Republicans to cut Social Security;
- He suspended Habeas Corpus, allowing the US government to detain citizens at any time for as long as they want without having to charge them with a crime;
- He used the Espionage Act to jail journalists and whistleblowers — gifting Trump with a dangerous precedent to stifle free speech and the 1st Amendment;
- When gifted with a fillibuster-proof majority in Congress, he chose to deliver a Republican health care plan instead of the public option that he had campaigned on. Instead of pressuring conservative Democrats to agree, he actually campaigned against progressive Democrats who were fighting for the public option;
- Although he promised to “put on a pair of comfortable shoes” and march with unions on strike, he completely ignored the unions fighting for their lives in Wisconsin and Ohio;
- He is responsible for the greatest decline of an American political party in all of history — with Democrats losing 900 State legislative seats, 70% of State legislatures, 2/3 of all governorships.
13. Obama led a recovery that left working families in the lurch while saving his patrons and friends on Wall Street. Moreover, black Americans fared the worst under Obama.
Obama’s recovery all went to the shareholders, owners and managers.
- Remember DAPL? Obama was the greatest friend to domestic dirty oil and fracking producers that the oil industry has ever had. In 2015 he lifted the export ban that had prevented domestic oil producers from exporting their product outside of the US, which set off an orgy of pipeline building across North America.
Obama even bragged about this:
“Under my administration … we’ve added enough oil and gas pipeline to circle the Earth and then some.” —PresidentObama, remarks on oil and gas subsidies, March 29, 2012
No wonder then, that Obama refused to come to the aid of Native American water protectors opposed to DAPL and stood by as protesters were brutalized by militarized Federal and local police.
15. Remember Occupy Wall Street? The movement that first coined the “We are the 99%” rhetorical framing. The protest that started as a result of the 2008 crisis and Obama ’s horrible handling of such. What started in NY spread throughout the country; there were Occupy protests in many cities in every state. Then Obama decided he’d had enough, he dusted off some of the fascist tools Bush had set up and used his DOJ, FBI and DHS to coordinate a brutal strike to crush what even the FBI admitted was a 100% peaceful protest.
The Partnership for Civil Justice Fund… shows a terrifying network of coordinated DHS, FBI, police, regional fusion center, and private-sector activity so completely merged into one another that the monstrous whole is, in fact, one entity: in some cases, bearing a single name, the Domestic Security Alliance Council. And it reveals this merged entity to have one centrally planned, locally executed mission. The documents, in short, show the cops and DHS working for and with banks to target, arrest, and politically disable peaceful American citizens.
There was even an FBI plan to ASSASSINATE Occupy leaders “if necessary.”
And to think that Biden (Mr. Law and Order, Lock’em Up, author of the 1994 Crime Bill) would not be equally calculating, organized and vicious in crushing peaceful protests would be sheer lunacy. He would, if anything, be even more merciless than Obama in stifling dissent, and certainly much more brutal and coordinated than the incompetent Trump, who cannot get out of his own way.
Indeed, Obama’s coordinated use of Federal anti-terror forces to break up peaceful protests nationwide was PRAISED by Trump when he first had his call with the Governors:
“…this is like Occupy Wall Street. It was a disaster until one day, somebody said, that’s enough and they just went in and wiped them out and that’s the last time we ever heard the name Occupy Wall Street…They were they forever it seemed on wall street. they closed up Wall Street, the financial district of the world, total domination… then after that everything was beautiful and that was the last time we heard about it.”
Whereas Obama martialed the full force of the Federal government to simultaneously attack Occupy protests in 50 cities nationwide, Trump has so far only stuck his Federal nose into 1 or 2 cities, and does not appear to want to go further.
Still, should Trump decide to use Federal force to wipe out the BLM protests in every major city, he will have a blueprint for doing so created by his predecessor, “no drama Obama.”
But the DSAC, created by George W. Bush in 2005, is what is really scary. It is described as a “public-private partnership” between the FBI and over 200 of the largest American companies. Remember, fascism was defined by Mussolini as the “marriage between state and corporate power.”
Obama’s use of the DSAC to spy on and then destroy the Occupy Movement represents a level of fascism FAR beyond anything Trump has done.
EuroYankee is a dual citizen, US-EU. He travels around Europe, writing on politics, culture and such. He pays his US taxes so he gets to weigh in on what is happening in the States.