Join the Discussion!
Register or Log in to post a Comment. Subscribe to be notified of new posts.
- Anti-Bernie Smear #24: “Bernie is too far Left; he can’t win the general election – he will be another McGovern” Thursday, 23 January, 2020
- Anti-Bernie Smear #23: “Bernie has never been vetted, he’s been given a pass …etc.” Sunday, 12 January, 2020
- Anti-Bernie Smear #17: “Bernie is not a Democrat!” Thursday, 9 January, 2020
- Anti-Bernie Smear #11: “Bernie is Pro-NRA, Pro-Gun, voted 5 times against the Brady Bill, etc.” Thursday, 9 January, 2020
- This is Neoliberalism, Part V: the false promise of “Choice” Wednesday, 8 January, 2020
- This is Neoliberalism, Part IV: The Military Industrial Complex and the Big Lie Exposed Tuesday, 7 January, 2020
- Tr🍩ll Smear #22: “Bernie is an Anti-Semite” Saturday, 28 December, 2019
- Anti-Bernie Smear #21: “Bernie wants to take away Americans’ CHOICE in their healthcare provider” Saturday, 28 December, 2019
- Troll Smear #4: “Bernie was not an effective legislator and he never accomplished anything in Congress” Monday, 4 March, 2019
- Anti-Bernie Smear #15: “Bernie and Jane are Corrupt – Look at the Burlington College Deal” Wednesday, 27 February, 2019
Search by Category
Search by Date
Follow me on Twitter!
This is a handy guide to beating back the ridiculous and vile smears that are being leveled at Bernie Sanders, and in particular those that may compare him to Joe Biden.
*UPDATED: JANUARY 23, 2020
Anti-Bernie Smear #24: “Bernie is too far Left; he can’t win the general election – he will be another McGovern”
This smear is another one that I would have thought would disappear given all the blatant facts in evidence to the contrary. But no – there are still some people out there claiming that Bernie is popular only because no one has really challenged him, no one has investigated him, no one has really attacked him.
Centrist Democrats love to pillory Bernie for not being on their Team. This particular “attack” is so stupid that I resisted writing an answer to it for a long time, thinking that it would go away. Alas, there seems to be mo end to the stupidity of the centrist CorpDems and #StillWithering Hive Queen Holdovers that are still out there. Continue reading
First, let’s be clear: Bernie is no fan of the NRA. Moreover, Bernie is by no means the most pro-gun Democrat out there. Indeed, throughout most of his career, Bernie has had a solid “F” from the NRA.
To many people this may seem like an unlikely or even a silly smear, given that Bernie is Jewish, given that he lost his family in the Holocaust, and given that he actually lived and worked on a Kibbutz in Israel. But believe me, this is a serious smear, and the fact that serious people will level this kind of attack says more about the state of discourse surrounding Israel, Judaism and the definition of Antisemitism than it does about Bernie Sanders. Continue reading
Troll Smear #4: “Bernie was not an effective legislator and he never accomplished anything in Congress”
The screwy accusation of “bank fraud” started by right-wing smear merchants and now pushed by anti-Bernie Democrats and most recently, the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board.
Anti-Bernie Smear #20: “Bernie claims to be socialist and fight climate change, but flies first class on private jets”
This is a corollary of Troll Smear #19 about Bernie’s houses and net worth. This smear also seeks to portray Bernie as a hypocrite, and tries to do so by making the following “arguments”: (1) Bernie claims to fight Climate Change but spent $300,000 on private air travel, polluting the air, and/or (2) Bernie claims to be a socialist but he insists on flying first class on private jets.
Anti-Bernie Smear #19: “Bernie is a hypocrite, he has three houses, a net worth over $2 million, and only pays 13% in taxes”
As with all smears directed at Bernie, this is typical in that it does not attack his policies, but rather seeks to disparage him personally, by saying that he “does not practice what he preaches”. The smear seeks to portray Bernie as someone who is cynically preaching to the working class while he himself is a member of the top 1% that he rails against.
Anti-Bernie Smear #18: “Bernie also voted for the 1994 Crime Bill that he criticizes the Clintons for ”
This is also a very cynical and misleading smear that needs to be explained and debunked just as much as any other.
Centrist Democrats love to pillory Bernie for not being on their Team.